Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Scones with Buttermilk Syrup

Ok, so I haven't actually tried these scones with their buttermilk syrup but I really want to, does that count? I've read about them on a few different blogs and I keep forgetting about them. That is until Marion made scones on Sun, then I remembered all about it. I'm putting it on here so I know where the recipe is and so at least ONE of us tries it. It's a conference tradition on one of my friend's blog. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.....

Scones

(Or use your own bread/scone recipe)
3 Tbsp yeast
4 cups warm water
4 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
3 Tbsp oil
About 9 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast, water and sugar together and let stand 5 minutes until foamy. Add the salt and oil, then the flour one cup at a time. Mix well and let dough rise for 30 minutes before frying. Roll the dough out into a very large rectangle 1/2 inch thick. Cut into small squares and fry in hot oil until they are golden brown.

Buttermilk Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cube butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together the sugar, butter, buttermilk, corn syrup and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the baking soda and vanilla (it foams up and goes down after a few minutes). Serve over warm scones.

3 comments:

Shaila Lou said...

So we made these today...and they are delicious! That syrup is amazing, I would love it for my everyday syrup! Thanks for posting it!

melanie said...

I know Lou. Yesterday we made french toast with left over french bread and oh my, the syrup! I would love it for my everyday syrup too!

melanie said...

We didn't go to the work of rolling the scones out either and they were yum yum!