Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cafe Rio

I've only had Cafe Rio once in my life, and I can't even remember how it tasted. One day Matt googled the sweet pork and wanted to try it. We made the pork and rice and thought it was pretty good. I then looked up and saw all the other recipes. It is so much better with all of it. Especially the dressing...it might look gross in the picture, but it is oh so good!! I've read that you can have it as a salad too, but the one time I went to try it, I couldn't resist the burrito!! Hope you try it and love it as much as our family does!
Cafe Rio Pork

5-6 lb Pork Roast

1 Tbls Cumin

1 Cup Brown Sugar

12 oz. La Victoria Taco Sauce (Red)

20 oz. Coke or Dr Pepper

Put pork in crock pot and fill half way with water. Cook 4 hours on high. Drain water, cut the pork in thirds. Mix together sauce and pour on top of pork. Cook another 4 hours on low. Shred the pork. (I usually only use 3 lb pork and it's still great. Also you might want more brown sugar, taste for your own preference.)

Cilantro Lime Rice

In a saucepan, saute:

2 Tbsp Butter

1 Onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

In a large pot, bring to a boil:

6 2/3 cups water

8 tsp chicken bullion

1/2 bunch Cilantro, chopped

2 tsp Cumin

2 sm cans Diced Green Chilies

1 Tbsp Lime Juice

1/2 tsp pepper

3 1/2 cups Rice

Saute onion, garlic with the butter until the onion is soft. Add rice and water and all the other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for about 20 minutes. (This makes a ton of rice, you can half the recipe if you'd like.)

Black Beans

4 Tbsp. Olive Oil

4 cloves Garlic, minced

2 tsp. Cumin

2 cans Black beans, rinsed and drained

2 2/3 cups tomato juice

3 tsp Salt

4 Tbsp. chopped Cilantro

in a nonstick skillet, cook garlic and cumin in olive oil over medium heat until you can smell it. Add beans, tomato juice and salt. Continually stir until heated through. Just before serving stir in the cilantro. (I personally think it is too much salt, so you might want to do less and try it.)

Creamy Tomatillo Salad Dressing

1 cup Sour Cream

1 envelope Ranch salad dressing

1 1/2 envelope Fiesta Ranch Salad dressing

6 tomatillos, husked and cut in half

1 clove garlic, minced

Juice from 2 limes, freshly squeezed

1 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

Combine all ingredients in a blender (put the liquieds in first) and blend until smooth. Store in the refrigerator. Can be stored in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

3 comments:

melanie said...

Yum, I love when you cook Cafe Rio. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't cook it as well as you, I'm not to patient in the kitchen. If you're home and cooking this again, count on the Bushmans, haha.

Marion said...

For all of you reading this blog...this recipe is really good! I haven't good it myself yet, but I sure plan to! Thanks for posting it, Lou!

Marion said...

"Good" should be "cooked"! Good grief, Charlie Brown!!!