Thursday, October 13, 2011

Black Pepper Biscuits

A few weeks ago one of my FB friends posted this recipe and I knew I had to try it. I love biscuits, but I've never found a recipe I've just loved. Tonight I made these and Matt and I both agreed, best homemade biscuits we've ever had. They were delish and I could've ate many with the raspberry peach jam I just made. Yum! This recipe is orginally from the Food Network, a Bobby Flay recipe.

So a few of my thoughts about this recipe. The black pepper could easily be omitted if you're not a fan, as you just sprinkle it on top prior to baking. I followed the recipe and used unsalted butter (since I had some in the freezer), but Matt and I agreed, they could've used a little more salt. So I think next time I will use salted butter and slowly add the tsp of salt until it seems salty enough, but try if for yourself how you'd like it and go from there. Since I rarely plan ahead to make something with buttermilk, I used the "homemade" buttermilk substitute of 1 tbls vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk method. Also, don't let the lack of heavy whipping cream in your fridge from making these, as I think they would probably be okay without, just a thought. (I'll have to test that next time.)

Black Pepper Biscuits


4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups cold buttermilk
1/2 cup heavy cream (brushed on top prior to baking)
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper (I sprinkled some from my shaker, nothing near this amount.)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to distribute the ingredients evenly. Scatter the butter over the top of the flour mixture and pulse 4 or 5 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the buttermilk and pulse until the mixture just begins to come together. (I don't have a food processor, so I used a pastry blender to "cut" my butter in. Then I used my kitchen aid when I added the buttermilk so I didn't have to work so hard by hand.)

Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured counter. Pat the dough into a 10 by 12-inch rectangle about 3/4-inch thick. (I used my rolling pin, it's faster.) Use a 3-inch round cutter to make 8 biscuits then place them on the prepared baking sheet. Press together the scraps of dough, and repeat process. Place the biscuits on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper; brush the tops with cream and sprinkle with black pepper. Bake the biscuits for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter.

No comments: