Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Banana Spice Cookies

I needed a new recipe to use for my ripe bananas. I found this one on allrecipes.com. It said to use a frosting that was a buttercream frosting, but I thought it would be better with brown butter frosting. They called for walnuts, but I'm not a big fan and didn't have any anyways, so I omitted them. I also added some nutmeg as well. They aren't the real cookie texture, more like a pumpkin cookie. Quinn said they were squishy.

Banana Spice Cookies

1/2 cup butter
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add one cup of the flour, the sugar, eggs, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, soda, and cloves. Beat until thoroughly combined.

Stir in the remaining flour. Beat in bananas and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Can also check if they are done by touching the middle of a cookie, and if it bounces back, it's done. Cool cookies on a rack, then frost.

Brown Butter Frosting

1/4 cup Butter
2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
3 Tbls Milk

Melt butter and cook until a gold brown. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk to make a good consistency.

2 comments:

Marion said...

My mouth is watering. Better use up the 3 BLACK bananas I have sitting on my counter! oxoxo

Marion said...

I made these and they are yummy! Great recipe! But anything with browned butter is wonderful!