Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sugar Cookie Bars

Do you love Sugar Cookies but hate the work of mixing the dough, letting it chill, rolling it out, cutting it out, rolling it out, cutting it out, repeat? And then after all that, you have to frost them? I love a good sugar cookie but they are so time consuming! You have to have a whole day dedicated to making a batch.

I came across this recipe on Pinterest and all my hours spent on that website have finally been worth it. These are wonderful, easy, and everyone loves them!! I made them for work and they were gone in seconds. Here is the easy recipe:

Sugar Cookies:

1 C. Butter, Softened
2 C. Sugar
4 Eggs
2 t. Vanilla or Almond Extract (I used Almond)
5 C. Flour
1 t. Salt
1/2 t. Baking Soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer or kitchen aid until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in vanilla or almond extract. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter/sugar mixture and stir until combined. Spread dough onto a greased 13x18 baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until light golden brown or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. For soft cookies, do not overbake. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:

1/2 C. Butter, Room Temperature
4 oz. Cream Cheese, Softened
1 t. Vanilla or Almond Extract (I Used Almond)
4 C. Powdered Sugar
5 T. Milk
1/4 t. Salt

To make frosting, combine the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in vanilla or almond extract and salt. Add powdered sugar in a 1-2 cup increments, until combined, then add milk on Tablespoon at a time until frosting is desired spreading consistency. You may not use all the milk. Spread frosting over the cooled cookie bars and cut into squares.

3 comments:

Marion said...

I've pinned a couple of recipes for these off of Pinterest but always unsure of an untried recipe. NOW I'll try! Thanks for posting, Seeter. Love you!

Marion said...

I made them and LOVE them. Except I'm not a big cream cheese frosting lover so I made a rich buttercream and can I just say, "Oh my word!" I could eat the whole pan! I crave these now! Thanks for lighting the fire under me. Love you, Sis!

melanie said...

This recipe is DANGEROUSLY good. Yum, yum! I love them with the buttercream frosting too.